Gaming Room Upgrade

 As I mentioned in my last post, I moved this past year to a new home. Any gamer with significant collections can attest that this is a stressful time but one filled with opportunity. Seizing the chance, I endeavored to upgrade my gaming surroundings; everything from my table to my display solutions. Much of the credit for any success I achieved must be credited to my lovely wife. It was her that prompted me to get more of my models out of storage and on display pointing out that if what I painted was 2D and on canvas they'd already be on the walls.


The house we purchased was complete with a space perfect for my gaming needs (mayhaps a couple feet wider would be nice). Again, I must thank my better half for allowing a suitable space to be a priority during our house hunting. The gaming room is complete with access to the back deck (just feet to the BBQ for summer games), adjacent bathroom, and gas fireplace (for Canadian winter games). Additionally, there is a crawl space opposite the external wall which is now filled with boxes of terrain, figures, and rarely used modelling supplies.

The obvious thing missing was a gaming table. Too much money later, I constructed something close to the ideal table from the depths of my mind. By default it is 6' wide and 8' long but can separate and have a table leaf inserted into the middle bringing the table to 12'x6'. The overhang is 18" allowing plenty of leg and chair room and the built in storage now holds gaming mats, dice boxes, tape measures, and many other paraphernalia. Track lighting completes the space with extra units highlighting display areas and my historical prints.

The room was long enough for my digital workspace, painting workspace, and 3D printing workspace.


Attempts to keep the painting area organised are often a fools errand but one for which we must all strive. I ended up with one extra glass cabinet which I use to store ongoing or recently finished projects (wholly an attempt to give myself visual prompts to get stuff done).


I, of course, would love a large, well furnished office filled with high back leather chairs and the faint smell of whiskey and pipe tobacco, but my space is more than sufficient for my projects.


One wall I left free but for a large whiteboard and several prints.


The gaming room came with a large room length ledge perfect for display along the opposite wall. However, my collections are too large even for this space.


I discovered these clear acrylic shelves on Amazon intended for bathroom use. By flipping them upside down I gained a small ledge on the front side, useful for the model's protection. Even this was not enough for my many fleets and armies.


Praise my understanding wife who graciously allowed additional cabinets to be situated throughout the house for more display opportunities. I have managed to get nearly all of my starship collections on display but additional models (like those on my desk right now) have nowhere to go; I have barely started getting my 28mm and 6mm collections out or my naval.


I wonder when her patience will end?

Comments

  1. Lovely setup. Hope it brings you many years of enjoyment.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts